top of page
  • Oran Park Author

Children’s feet FAQ

Are flat feet a problem for my child?

Most children under the age of 4 will have feet that look flat. This is because of the protective fat pad and not yet fully developed bones in their feet. Over the age of 4 upwards, we do expect to see some arches under their feet. However, if this is not the case, it doesn’t mean your child will develop pain later in life. It just means they might be more susceptible to overuse injuries and certain foot problems. If you are concerned about your child flat feet, make sure you see your podiatrist so we can assess your child's feet properly.

What is the type of footwear I should put on my toddler feet?

Baby should stay barefoot, if possible, when they are learning to walk. However, if they walk on rough or dangerous surfaces, they should be wearing lightweight, soft, and flexible shoes. This will help with their balance and proprioception when they are learning to walk. Speak to your podiatrist for the best footwear option for your child.

My child is walking funny, who do I see for this problem?

If you see your child walking with their feet inwards, outwards, or walking on their toes. You should be seeing your podiatrist to get this problem assessed properly. We conduct a thorough biomechanical assessments, gait analysis and will be able to give you a comprehensive treatment plan on how to address the issue. In some cases, we also refer your child to a paediatric physiotherapist if we see an underlying problem with their hip, glutes, and core muscles.

Why my child has curly toes?

Curly toes is a common condition and can be more noticeable when your child beginning to walk. The condition is known to be heredity and can be pass from parents to children. Curly toe are a variant of normal and generally does not require any treatment if your child is under the age of 5. Always make sure their shoes are wide enough for their feet. However, as your child grow and if you see curly toes does not go away by itself, make sure you come to see a podiatrist for a full assessment.

24 views0 comments


bottom of page